Eurostat and Statistics Finland International Conference on
"Comparative EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions:
Issues and Challenges"
Helsinki, 6-7 November 2006
Auditorium - 2nd Floor
Starting time: Monday, 6 November at 9.00
Finishing time: Tuesday, 7 November at 13.00.
There will be no general distribution of papers at the venue. Please print out the papers you wish to have.
Monday, 6 November 2006
1. Opening address and general presentation of EU-SILC (Chair: Ralf Jacob, European Commission) - (9.00 -10.30)
Tea & Coffee break (10.30-11.00)
2. Session on "Income measurement in EU-SILC" (Chair: Tony Atkinson, Oxford University, UK) - First part - (11.00 -12.15)
EU-SILC and recommendations of the "Expert Group on Household Income Statistics"
Lunch break (12.15-13.30)
3. Session on "Income measurement in EU-SILC" (Chair: Tony Atkinson, Oxford University, UK) - Second part - (13.30 -15.45)
EU-SILC and welfare measurement
EU-SILC complex income components
Tea & Coffee break (15.45-16.15)
4. Session on "Non-Income dimensions in EU-SILC" (Chair: Eric Marlier, CEPS/INSTEAD Research Institute, Luxembourg) - (16.15 -18.30)
- Health variable in EU-SILC
(Xander Koolman, Erasmus University Medical Center, The Netherlands - 20') (Slides)
- Material deprivation and poor housing
(Anne-Catherine Guio, IWEPS Institute, Belgium -
Isabelle Engsted-Macquet, European Commission -20') (Slides)
- The differential access of women and men to employment and income:
evidence from the EU-SILC
(Terry Ward, Applica, Brussels - 20') (Slides)
- Social Class Variation in Income Poverty, Deprivation and Consistent Poverty: An Analysis of EU-SILC (Tables)
(Dorothy Watson, ESRI Research Institute, Ireland- 20') (Slides)
- Discussants: Brian Nolan (ESRI Research Institute, Ireland),
Danièle Meulders (Free University of Brussels, Belgium) (Slides: Meulders) - 25'
- 30 minutes Q/A
Closing of session at 18.30, followed by a social event
Tuesday, 7 November 2006
5. Session on "Data quality and comparability in EU-SILC" (Chair: Lucile Olier, Statistics France (INSEE), France) - (9.00 -10.30)
Tea & Coffee break - (10.30-11.00)
6. Session on "EU-SILC to be used for national and comparative EU monitoring of some key aspects of social protection and social inclusion" (chaired by Anne Clémenceau, EUROSTAT, European Commission) - (11.00 -12.40)
- Feedback from sessions on "Income measurement in EU-SILC", "Non-Income dimensions in EU-SILC"
and "Data quality and comparability in EU-SILC" by session chairs (15 minutes)
- Using the EU-SILC for policy simulation: prospects, some limitations and some suggestions (updated 3.11.2006)
(F. Figari - H. Levy - H. Sutherland - University of Essex, United Kingdom - 20') (Slides)
- Interventions by panellists (40 minutes) (questions):
European Commission : Ralf Jacob, DG EMPL
Indicators Sub-Group of the social protection committee: David Stanton, ISG chair (Slides)
OECD representative: Michael Förster
István Tóth (TÁRKI Institute, Hungary) (Slides)
Bea Cantillon (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
- 25 minutes Q/A.
7. Conclusions by Michel Glaude (EUROSTAT, European Commission) - 20'
End of Conference at 13.00
Last updated 14.11.2006