Price development of peat and forest chippings continued calm compared to hard coal and natural gas in the first quarter of 2022
The rise in the world market prices of fuels was visible in the prices of hard coal and natural
gas. According to Statistics Finland, the tax-free price of natural gas quadrupled and that of hard coal doubled in one year. In comparison, the prices of milled peat and forest chippings changed only a little. Price of forest chippings rose three per cent and that of peat fell seven in a year. The rise in world market prices was also visible in consumer prices.
- In January 2022, the price of natural gas rose to a record level in its price history. The price has quadrupled in a year.
- The price of hard coal followed the rise in the world market prices of fuels. The price of hard coal doubled in a year.
- The prices of milled peat and forest chippings developed moderately, those of forest chippings rose by around three per cent and those of peat fell by about seven per cent in a year.
- Among transport fuels, petrol was nearly 40 per cent and diesel some 55 per cent more expensive in March 2022 than one year ago.
- Of the energy sources used in residential heating, the prices of electricity and light fuel oil increased. The price development of district heat has been steady so far.
Database tables related to this release