A building refers to any independent structure permanently constructed or erected on its site. It has its own entrance and contains covered space intended for different purposes, usually enclosed within outer walls or walls separating it from other structures (buildings).
Caves and other subterranean spaces which are mainly enclosed within rock or similar walls and/or which do not contain structures comparable to the interior structures of buildings proper, for example underground oil tanks, are not buildings.
Stalls, kiosks, etc. that do not contain space separated by closed walls, and transportable caravans, ships, etc. are not classified as buildings.
The building stock statistics do not include:
- free-time residences
- buildings intended for storing liquids
- buildings used only in agricultural production
- sauna buildings belonging to residential buildings
- outhouses of residential buildings
- buildings entirely controlled by foreign missions
- buildings of the Armed Forces
- air raid shelters
except in cases where such buildings are occupied or contain business premises.
The data on buildings come from the Population Information System of the Population Register Centre.
Statistics using the definition
Validity of the definition
- Valid until (31 December 2078)
- Network connection
- Cubic capacity of a building
- Type of building
- Location address
- Method of construction
- Year of construction
- Construction services
- Building material
- Intended use of building
- Floor area
- Single-family house
- Type of ownership of building
- Heating system
- Heating fuel/ source of heat
- Free-time residence
- Number of storeys
- Gross floor area
- Facade material
- Room and number of rooms
- Residential block of flats
- Average size of dwelling