News 18 May 2020
Corona situation review of 15 May 2020: effects of the exceptional situation are reflected in the figures for the economy in March
Due to the corona situation we have accelerated the production of data describing the exceptional circumstances. We publish statistics deviating from ordinary statistics production once a week for the time being and compile data on them and other topical statistics into this news item.
Selections of statistics and articles describing the corona situation
- 15 May The Trend Indicator of Output shows that the output of the national economy adjusted for working days fell by 2.7 per cent in March from twelve months back.
- 15 May According to the index of turnover of service industries, turnover and output in services fell in March.
- 15 May The turnover in industry decreased by 5.1 per cent in March.
- 15 May According to the index of producer prices of agricultural products, the corona epidemic has not yet influenced the producer prices for agriculture, the purchase prices of the means of agricultural production fell in the first quarter (in Finnish).
- 15 May The turnover and sales volume of construction enterprises continued growing in March. Building costs rose by 0.3 per cent in April year-on-year.
- 15 May Timo Ruuskanen writes in his blog how corona has restricted young people's physical exercise hobbies most (in Finnish).
- 14 May 2020 Iiro Halonen analyses the occupancy rate in his article Quarantine reveals the occupancy rate – many families with underage children live in overcrowded conditions (in Finnish).
- 14 May 2020 Preliminary statistics on the number of deaths per week indicate the number of deaths until 3 May. The data of the statistics will be supplemented, up-to-date information can be found in the experimental statistics database.
- 14 May The turnover of trade shows that the growth in turnover in trade has halted in March.
- 14 May According to the Consumer Price Index, inflation was -0.3 per cent in April.
- 13 May According to the statistics on balance of payments and international investment position, the current account was in deficit in March and the financial account was in balance.
- 13 May The data for the first quarter of 2020 on the statistics on international trade in goods and services were published as instant preliminary data in the database tables of the statistics. The figures will be revised in the June release on 22 June 2020.
Coming this week
- 18 May The statistics on manufacturing and trade inventories describe the current priced value of inventories by industry in the first quarter (in Finnish).
- 19 May Data for April on road traffic accidents resulting in personal injury are published in the statistics on road traffic accidents.
- 19 May Hanna Sutela's blog about the breakthrough of remote work in Finland boosted by the corona crisis (in Finnish).
- 19 May The Job Vacancy Survey describes the number of open job vacancies in the first quarter.
- 20 May In the statistics on bankruptcies, data on bankruptcy petitions are released for April and preliminary data on the number of bankruptcy petitions on the weekly level are released in the rapid estimate of the statistics on bankruptcies for the first time on 22 May.
- 20 May Preliminary statistics on the number of deaths per week until 10 May.
- 20 May The experimental early estimate of output is published for April.
- 22 May The statistics on local government finances describe quarterly the development of the finances of municipalities and joint municipal authorities in Mainland Finland.
- 22 May Ilkka Lehtinen's article on the impact of the economic crisis on the housing market from the recession of the 1990s to the corona crisis (in Finnish).
We collect statistics describing the corona situation on the corona pages of Statistics Finland's web pages. Eurostat has also opened the Covid-19 page where you can find much information and data describing the situation on the EU level. In addition, we provide information in our weekly news on statistics describing the corona situation and on the effects of emergency conditions on statistics production.
Statistics Finland’s statistics and services can be found on the www.stat.fi pages. The Information Services help in finding statistical information by telephone at +358 29 551 2220 or by email at email@example.com. You can also inquire about statistics with the Ask about statistics form.
Ville Vertanen, Deputy Director General (Partnerships and Ecosystem Relations), tel. +358 29 551 3343
Hannele Orjala, Director of Information Services (Communication and Information Services), tel. +358 29 551 3582