News 20 May 2020
Statistics Finland starts to release instant preliminary statistics on bankruptcies
Due to the corona situation Statistics Finland has accelerated the production of data describing the exceptional circumstances. As the latest instant preliminary statistics, Statistics Finland temporarily produces data on the number of bankruptcy proceedings instigated on the weekly level.
Starting from 22 May, Statistics Finland releases the weekly number of instigated bankruptcy proceedings for the time being, mainly at the end of the week following the statistical reference week. Instant preliminary statistics provide information on the development of the number of instigated bankruptcy proceedings by main industry. As a rule, preliminary data on the number of bankruptcy proceedings instigated are released monthly in the statistics on bankruptcies.
The numbers of instigated bankruptcies in the table published are based on final statistics for 2003 to 2019 and on preliminary data for 2020. Preliminary data for 2020 will be revised whenever data for the following week are published. The data for the latest weeks are supplemented at each update.
The number of bankruptcies varies much by week. The number is affected, for example, by the timing of mid-week holidays in different weeks. The instigation of bankruptcy requires that the bankruptcy petition is filed and it is processed at the district court within the opening hours of district courts.
In summer months, fewer bankruptcies have conventionally been instigated than in other times of the year.
The table includes data starting from the beginning of 2003. Monthly data on bankruptcies cannot be directly derived from the weekly data because months may start and end in the middle of the week. Monthly bankruptcy data will continue to be published within the normal schedule. Monthly data provide more detailed information than instant preliminary data concerning the industries of enterprises filed for bankruptcy.
The data are published
• In the Experimental statistics database at 8 am
• In week 21, on Friday 22 May 2020 data are published until week 20/2020.
• In week 22, on Friday 29 May 2020 data are published until week 21/2020.
• In week 23, on Friday 5 June 2020 data are published until week 22/2020.
• In week 24, on Friday 12 June 2020 data are published until week 23/2020.
• In week 25, on Thursday 18 June 2020 data are published until week 24/2020.
• In week 28, on Friday 10 July 2020 data are published until week 27/2020.
• In week 29, on Friday 17 July 2020 data are published until week 28/2020.
• In week 30, on Friday 24 July 2020 data are published until week 29/2020.
• In week 31, on Friday 31 July 2020 data are published until week 30/2020.
• In week 34, on Friday 21 August 2020 data are published until week 33/2020.
After this, data preceding the week are released weekly on Friday.
Instant preliminary data are released during exceptional circumstances.
Further information: firstname.lastname@example.org