Turnover of trade
Producer: Statistics Finland
Homepage: http:// www.stat.fi/til/klv/index_en.html
Main topic: Trade
Related topics: Enterprises
Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Yes
European Statistical System (ESS): Yes
The index of turnover of trade describes development in the turnover of enterprises engaged in trade. Turnover for the largest enterprises in their respective industries is described with the data collected with the sales inquiry while the data on sales obtained from periodic tax returns are exploited to describe the turnover of other enterprises. Turnover is exclusive of value-added tax. In addition, the volume index of retail trade sales, from which the impact of prices has been eliminated, is produced on trade.
The calculation is based on estimation of change. Sums by industry are calculated with data on the enterprises for which comparable data on turnover are available for both the examined month and the corresponding month of the previous year. The obtained sums are used to calculate annual changes by industry. Because preliminary data can only be calculated from the data Statistics Finland has obtained by inquiring enterprises direct, their calculation is based purely on the estimation of change, whereas the impact of enterprise openings and closures on the produced indices is also taken into account in the calculation of revised data. The annual changes thus obtained are used to raise the turnover index of the corresponding month of the previous year. The latest index figures may become slightly revised as new data accumulate and enterprises report changes to their data. Due to supplementations, the data will become updated in releases for over twelve months. The statistics and indices compiled from the data are public under the condition that no individual enterprise’s data can be identified from them.
Indicators of turnover are also published for sub-industries in construction, other services and manufacturing. Data on the turnover and export turnover of other industries, enterprise groups and areas can also be produced to order as special compilations.
A statistical release of the latest data on the motor vehicle, wholesale and retail trade is made monthly at a lag of approximately 45 days basing on the preliminary data obtained with the survey of large enterprises. Preliminary data are also released on the retail trade subgroups of retail sales of perishable goods and retail sales in department stores, and on the wholesale trade subgroup of non-specialised wholesale. Data by more detailed industrial breakdown are published at a lag of about 75 days from the end of the examined month on Statistics Finland's website.
Indices on trade turnover are published for the following activities:
TRADE, TOTAL G
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TRADE AND REPAIR OF MOTOR VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES 45
- Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles (45112, 45192, 45321,45322, 45402)
- Wholesale trade of motor vehicles (45201, 45202, 45403)
- Retail trade of motor vehicles (45111, 45191, 45311, 45312, 45401)
WHOLESALE TRADE 46
RETAIL TRADE 47 - Retail sale of perishable goods (4711, 472)
- Retail sale of food in non-specialised stores (4711)
- Other retail sale in non-specialised stores (4719)
- Retail sale of automotive fuel (473)
- Retail sale of home technology in specialised stores (474, 4754, 47782)
- Retail sale of hardware (4752, 47532, 47596)
- Retail sale of books, newspapers and stationery (47610, 47621,47622)
- Retail sale of sports equipment (47641)
- Retail sale of boats and boating accessories (47642)
- Retail sale of clothing and footwear (4771, 4772)
- Dispensing chemist and retail sale of toilet articles, etc. (4773-4775)
- Retail sale of flowers, plants, seeds and fertilisers (47761, 47762, 47763)
- Retail sale of furniture, furnishings and household articles in specialised stores (4751, 47531, 47591-47594, 47599)
- Other retail sale (47595, 47630, 47650, 47764, 47881, 47782, 47784, 47785, 47789, 4779, 478, 47990)
- Retail sale of jewellery and watches (4777)
- Retail sale of optical goods (47783)
- Retail sale via mail order houses or Internet (4791)
- Retail sale in specialised stores (4721-4724, 4726, 4729)
Standard Industrial Classification 2008.
Data collection methods and data sources
The turnover indices are based on the Tax Administration’s periodic tax return data and on Statistics Finland’s sales inquiry. The Tax Administration’s data cover all enterprises that are liable for value added tax and pay wages and salaries. The material comprises data collected in connection with the value added tax and employer contribution payment and reporting procedure. The sales inquiry mainly asks about turnover at the enterprise level, but to improve purity by industry, enterprises operating in multiple industries are divided into industry-specific units. Basic information on enterprises, such as their industry, that is available from Statistics Finland’s Register of Enterprises and Establishments is also utilised in calculating the indices.
- Business Register inquiry for government agencies
- Business Register inquiry for multi-establishment enterprises
- Business Register inquiry for municipal groups
- Business Register inquiry for single-establishment enterprises
- Fixed assets data / Sales inquiry
- The sales inquiry
Time of completion or release
Preliminary data approximately 45 days and revised data about 75 days after the end of the statistical reference time period.
Starting from 1995. The base year of the time series is 2010 (2010=100)
business cycles, economic fluctuation, enterprises, indices, industries, motor vehicle trade, motor vehicles, motorcar, retail trade, trade, turnover, vehicles, wholesale and retail trade, wholesale trade
Milka Suomalainen phone number 029 551 2912 Seija Karttunen phone number 029 551 2741
Last updated 29.02.2016