A more recent publication of this set of statistics is available.
Latest publication: Job vacancy survey 2016, 4th quarter
Published: 11 November 2009
Fewer job vacancies in the third quarter than one year earlier
According to the Job Vacancy Survey of Statistics Finland, there were 31,100 job vacancies in the third quarter of 2009, which was 26 per cent fewer than one year earlier (42,100). The reference date of the measurement for the third quarter was 1 September.
In the third quarter, 20,400, or 65 per cent, of the job vacancies were in private enterprises. Job vacancies diminished in Uusimaa, Western Finland, and Northern Finland, but increased in Eastern Finland. The number of job vacancies decreased most in trade and manufacturing. The decreasing was strongest in the local units with more than 100 employees.
Job vacancies 2009/III – 2008/III
|Job vacancies||31 100||42 100|
|Fixed term||40 %||27%|
|Hard-to-fill vacancies||36 %||55%|
The relative share of part-time vacancies increased by 9 percentage points and that of open fixed-term vacancies by 13 percentage points. Employers had fewer recruitment problems than one year previously. The share of hard-to-fill vacancies of all job vacancies fell by 19 percentage points to 36 per cent.
Data by industry are now published from the Job Vacancy Survey by the revised national standard industrial classification TOL 2008. The revised classification is based on the NACE Rev 2 classification of the European Union and differs in many respects from its predecessor TOL 2002. The differences are explained more closely on Statistics Finland’s website at: http://tilastokeskus.fi/til/tol2008_en.html .
Statistics Finland has been collecting data on open job vacancies quarterly since the beginning of 2002. The statistics are based on a sample of establishments of enterprises and general government. The data are collected with telephone interviews and web questionnaires. The statistics are decreed by a regulation of the European Union. The objective is to produce up-to-date and comparable information about the number and structure of job openings on the labour markets of EU Member States.
Source: Job vacancy survey 2009, 3rd quarter 2009. Statistics Finland.
Inquiries: Juha Martikainen (09) 1734 3225
Director in charge: Riitta Harala
Publication in pdf-format (296.9 kB)
- 1.1 Job vacancies by the quarters 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 2.1 Job vacancies by size of the local kind of activity unit 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 2.2 Job vacancies by employer sector of the local kind of activity unit 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 3.1 Job vacancies by province 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 3.2 Job vacancies by industry 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 4.1 Part-time vacancies by province 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 4.2 Part-time vacancies by industry 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 5.1 Fixed-term vacancies by province 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 5.2 Fixed-term vacancies by industry 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 6.1 Hard-to-fill vacancies by province 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 6.2 Hard-to-fill vacancies by industry 2009/III - 2008/III (11.11.2009)
- 1 Job vacancies by the quarters (11.11.2009)
- 2 Job vacancies by type of employment relationship (11.11.2009)
- 3 Job vacancies by employer sector (11.11.2009)
- 4 Job vacancies by size of the local kind of activity unit (11.11.2009)
- 5 Job vacancies by province (11.11.2009)
- 6 Job vacancies by industry (11.11.2009)
Official Statistics of Finland (OSF):
Job vacancy survey [e-publication].
ISSN=1798-2278. 3rd quarter 2009. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 20.2.2017].
Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/atp/2009/03/atp_2009_03_2009-11-11_tie_001_en.html