Levels of data published in the Volume Index of Industrial Output will become revised under standard industrial classification TOL 2008
New publication levels according to TOL 2008
The standard industrial classification TOL 2008 will be introduced in the Volume Index of Industrial Output in March 2009 when data concerning January 2009 will be published.
For further information please contact: Kari Rautio (+358 1734 2479), email@example.com
Sections and divisions
B, C, D, E Total industry
B Mining and quarrying
05 Mining of coal and lignite (no activity)
06 Extraction of crude petroleum and natural gas (no activity)
07 Mining of metal ores
08 Other mining and quarrying
09 Mining support service activities (not published)
10 Manufacture of food products
11 Manufacture of beverages
12 Manufacture of tobacco products (not published)
13 Manufacture of textiles
14 Manufacture of wearing apparel
15 Manufacture of leather and related products
16 Manufacture of wood and of products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials
17 Manufacture of paper and paper products
18 Printing and service activities related to printing
19 Manufacture of coke and refined petroleum products (not published)
20 Manufacture of chemicals and chemical products (not published)
21 Manufacture of basic pharmaceutical products and pharmaceutical preparations (not published)
22 Manufacture of rubber and plastic products (not published)
23 Manufacture of other non-metallic mineral products
24 Manufacture of basic metals
25 Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment
26 Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products (not published)
27 Manufacture of electrical equipment (not published)
28 Manufacture of machinery and equipment n.e.c.
29 Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers
30 Manufacture of other transport equipment
31 Manufacture of furniture
32 Other manufacturing
33 Repair and installation of machinery and equipment
D Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply (35)
E Water supply; sewerage, waste management and remediation activities
36 Water collection, treatment and supply
37 Sewerage (not published)
38 Waste collection, treatment and disposal activities; materials recovery
39 Remediation activities and other waste management services (not published)
Groups describing total industry
Total industry (B-E)
Manufacturing industries (new orders 13, 14, 17, 20, 21, 24-30)
Other groups and main industrial groupings
Food industry (10-12)
Textile industry (13-15)
Wood and paper industry (16-17)
Chemical industry (19-22)
Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products; manufacture of electrical equipment (26-27)
Metal industry (24-30)
Raw materials and productive goods (MIG): 7-9, 10.6, 10.9,
13.1-13.3, 16, 17, 20.1-20.3, 20.5, 20.6, 22-24, 25.5-25.7, 25.9,
26.1, 26.8, 27.1-27.4, 27.9
Energy products (MIG): 05, 06, 19, 35, 36
Investment goods (MIG): 25.1-25.4, 26.2, 26.3, 26.5, 26.6, 28, 29, 30.1-30.4, 32.5, 33
Durable goods (MIG): 26.4, 26.7, 27.5, 30.9, 31, 32.1, 32.2
Other consumer goods (MIG): 10.1-10.5, 10.7, 10.8, 11, 12, 13.9, 14, 15, 18, 20.4, 21, 32.3, 32.4, 32.9
Detailed descriptions of the classes can be found on Statistics Finland's web pages under Classifications.
Use and comparability of data according to TOL 2008 and TOL 2002
During the transition period up to the middle of 2011, certain statistics will continue to publish data classified by TOL 2002. In cases where series according to the old classification of the Volume Index of Industrial Output are used in conjunction with series according to the new classification, data according to the two different industrial classifications need to be combined.
The data of the Volume Index of Industrial Output according to TOL 2002 and TOL 2008 can be compared as follows:
B Mining and quarrying corresponds nearly completely to TOL 2002 section C Mining and quarrying.
- C Manufacturing corresponds mostly to TOL 2002 section D Manufacturing.The most significant changes in this section are:
- Repair of machinery has been separated from actual manufacturing into its own TOL 2008 division 33 Repair and installation of machinery and equipment.
- In addition, repair activities included in certain manufacturing industries have been moved from manufacturing to division 95 Repair of computers and personal and household goodsunder TOL 2008 section S Other service activities.
- TOL 2002 industry 37 Recycling has been moved to division 38 Waste collection, treatment and disposal activities; materials recovery under TOL 2008 section E Water supply; sewerage, waste management and remediation activities.
- The publishing activity included in TOL 2002 industry 22 Publishing, printing and reproduction of recorded media has been moved completely away from manufacturing to TOL 2008 section J Information and communication.
TOL 2008 section D Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply matches TOL 2002 section E Electricity, gas and water supply nearly completely.
Section E Water supply; sewage, waste management and remediation activities is new and has no correspondent in TOL 2002. The new section includes activities from TOL 2002 sections D Manufacturing, E Electricity, gas and water supply, F Construction and O Other community, social and personal service activities.
Publishing retrospective data with the TOL 2008 classification
Retrospective data starting from 1995 will be published on the development of all the industries listed above. Due to the change in base year, data for the years 2005-2008 will be calculated on the basis of micro level data. Earlier statistical data will be utilised in compiling data for the years 1995-2004 by using the following methods:
- The original industry-specific index series at the TOL 2002 five-digit level have been divided into TOL 2008 series according to the year 2006 proportions calculated on the basis of micro level data obtained from the Business Structures department (TOL 2002 à TOL 2008).
- Some of the data included in manufacturing under TOL 2002 have been moved to e.g. the industries 40-70 under TOL 2008.
- The original index series at the most detailed level of the TOL 2008 classification are weighted to the publication levels by using value added data obtained from structural statistics on manufacturing. The weights for each year are based on the industry-specific value added data for the year in question.
- The data for new previously unpublished industries are calculated on the basis of micro level data from 2005 onwards.
The accuracy of the retrospective data formed for the years 1995-2004 is nearly as good as that of previously published corresponding data. The accuracy of the data for 2005-2008 does not change in connection with the classification and base year revision.
Further information about the impact of the classification revision on statistics describing the Volume Index of Industrial Output
The levels of TOL 2008 by which data on the Volume Index of Industrial Output will be published are described on the home page of the statistics. Retrospective data starting from 1995 will be published from all series by the new industrial classification.
The effects of the new industrial classification on service industries have also been discussed in the Fokus section of Industry Review 2/2008 (In Finnish only).
Last updated 26.9.2008
Official Statistics of Finland (OSF):
Volume index of industrial output [e-publication].
ISSN=1798-9272. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 6.12.2016].
Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/ttvi/ttvi_2008-09-26_luo_001_en.html