These statistics have been discontinued.

No new data will be produced from these statistics.

Published: 26 August 2010

Central government productivity weakened in 2009

The productivity of central government agencies and institutions deteriorated from the previous year in 2009. Compared with 2008, total productivity fell clearly while the fall in labour productivity was minor. The added up volume of output of central government agencies and institutions went down by 0.3 per cent, the use of labour input fell by 0.1 per cent, whereas the use of total input rose by 1.7 per cent.

Development in the productivity of central government agencies and institutions from previous year, %

Development in the productivity of central government agencies and institutions from previous year, %
The most visible change in 2009 was that total input grew by 1.7 per cent. Differing from the past few years, the volume of output did not change considerably, although it weakened by 0.3 per cent. As the result of the fall in the volume of output and use of total input, total productivity weakened by 2.0 per cent. Labour productivity diminished by 0.2 per cent, since although the use of labour input was 0.1 per cent lower, the volume of output fell slightly faster.

Calculations for the statistics on central government productivity are performed with data on pairs of years by comparing the volumes of outputs and inputs for the services of a respondent unit in two successive years. Units removed from the central government sector and newly established units without comparison data from the preceding year are excluded from the comparison. The agencies and institutions included in the measurement vary slightly from one year and administrative sector to the next depending on the quantity and quality of the obtained responses.


Source: Statistics on central government productivity 2009. Statistics Finland.

Inquiries: Jani Heikkinen (09) 1734 3339, julkinen.tuottavuustilasto@stat.fi

Director in charge: Ari Tyrkkö

Publication in pdf-format (221.2 kB)

Tables

Appendix tables


Updated 26.08.2010

Referencing instructions:

Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Statistics on central government productivity [e-publication].
ISSN=1797-0490. 2009. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 24.4.2019].
Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/vatt/2009/vatt_2009_2010-08-26_tie_001_en.html